A family comes home to find smoke coming from their attic on New Year’s Day in Onalaska.
Onalaska Fire Chief Don Dominick said the fire happened just after 3 p.m. on the 400 block of Court Road.
Seventeen firefighters from Onalaska responded and had the fire under control in about 40 minutes.
No one was injured, but there is severe fire and water damage to parts of the home. Chief Dominic said the cause of the fire is something electrical.
"Take a look at being safe around the home when using heating appliances, just as a safety measure," Chief Dominic said. "The overwhelming majority of fires in the wintertime are from cooking."
The chief says electrical causes only account for 7-percent of fires nationwide.