Irish Pub Beef Stew
Irish Pub Beef Stew
Cut: Beef Chuck Roast or Sirloin Roast
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours and 5 minutes
- 1 1/2 lbs beef, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can water
- 4 carrots, cut into chunks
- 4 large potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 4 onions, cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup good quality cooking sherry
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 300F degrees.
- In a heavy skillet brown the beef in the butter over medium high heat.
- Add the soup and water and stir well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring once.
- Transfer to a cast iron dutch oven or oven proof pot and cook in the oven, covered for 5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven, remove bay leaves and serve with Irish Soda Bread and butter. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Corned Beef and Carrots with Marmalade-Whiskey Glaze
Cut: Corned Beef Brisket
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours
- 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pound boneless corned beef brisket
- 12 carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley sprigs
- 1 cup sweet orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup Irish whiskey
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, plus more for serving
- Place corned beef brisket and included seasoning packet in Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring just to a simmer; do not boil. Cover tightly and simmer 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, combine marmalade, Irish whiskey and nutmeg in small saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce to generous 3/4 cup, stirring often, about 7 minutes. Mix in 1 tablespoon mustard.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray. Toss carrots and 1/4-cup glaze in large bowl to coat. Spread carrots out on baking sheet. Sprinkle carrots with salt and pepper. Roast until carrots are tender, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven and keep warm.
- Remove brisket from water when fork-tender; trim fat. Place on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Brush top of brisket with remaining glaze; broil 2 to 3 minutes or until glazed. Carve diagonally across the grain. Transfer to platter, garnish with parsley, and serve with carrots and Dijon mustard. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Cook's Tip: Boil corned beef ahead of time, trim fat and refrigerate. When ready to serve: Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray. Generously brush corned beef all over with glaze; place in center of prepared sheet. Toss carrots and 1/4 cup glaze in large bowl to coat; place around beef. Sprinkle carrots with salt and pepper. Roast until carrots are tender and beef is golden, brushing occasionally with more glaze, about 35 minutes. Transfer to platter, garnish with parsley, and serve with Dijon mustard.