Iowa officials remind residents about propane safety
Iowa officials are reminding residents to be careful about using propane when generating heat or running appliances during the winter.
The state Department of Public Safety says people should have a qualified technician inspect their propane system. Officials also warn people to avoid using a stove for space heating, and suggest not using outdoor propane appliances inside.
Officials say this is especially critical during a power outage because of possible carbon monoxide poisoning.
Officials also recommend people take immediate action if they suspect a gas leak. That includes avoiding any flames or sparks, turning off the main supply valve on a propane tank, and leaving the area immediately.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.