JEWELL, Iowa (AP) -- A central Iowa firefighter injured while battling flames in a house has been hospitalized in Iowa City.

Des Moines television station KCCI reports that Robert Hagen fell into the house basement on Thursday and debris fell on top of him.

A passer-by in the central Iowa town of Jewell reported the fire around 12:30 p.m. Officials think none of the house residents was at home when the fire started.

Hagen was taken to hospitals in Ames and Des Moines before being transferred to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.

Fire Chief Duane Hendrickson says Hagen is being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning and is expected to leave the hospital in a day or so.

The fire cause is being investigated.