Gas blast injures man working outside Iowa home
A man working on a natural gas line outside a Cedar Rapids home has been injured in an explosion.
The Gazette says the accident was reported a little after 11:15 a.m. Thursday in southeast Cedar Rapids.
One of the home's owners, Dawn Stephens, reported that she'd heard an explosion outside and then heard the man calling for help.
He was identified as 41-year-old Howard Russell. He was taken to a hospital for treatment of burns on his hands.
Authorities say Russell works for Q3 Contracting, of Des Moines. The company is relocating gas mains in the neighborhood.
Stephens and her three dogs were not injured. The flames damaged siding on the back of the house but didn't get inside.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.