Dunn County sheriff's officials say a man suffered substantial injuries when a large piece of fireworks exploded his hand.
First responders were called to a residence in the Town of Tainter Monday evening. Authorities say 55-year-old Michael Schmitt was standing in the doorway of a house when he lit the explosive, intending to throw it into the yard. But, it exploded in his hand.
Sheriff's Capt. Kevin Bygd says Schmitt was airlifted to Regions Hospital in St. Paul. His condition was not immediately available.