PLATEVILLE, Wis. -

Police say it seems a small fire on the University of Wisconsin-Platteville campus was started when a student tried to make meth.

WKOW-TV reports Sunday that the fire started early Saturday. The Rountree Commons dorm was evacuated for about an hour.

Police say a student was trying to cook methamphetamine when the ingredients started a fire in a plastic waste basket. The student put out the fire and emergency crews were called.

Five people suffered smoke-related injuries.

The student was arrested. He's being held on a tentative charge of attempted manufacturing of methamphetamine.