You can give your vacuum cleaner - and yourself - a break. Consider a hand vac or stick vac to clean up everyday messes. A hand vac is a good choice for upholstery, hard-to-reach spots, and, of course, your car. Stick vacs don't require bending and can clean beneath furniture where a hand vac may not fit. To test, Consumer Reports uses a mixture of sand, rice, and cereal to challenge 21 hand and stick vacs. In a second test, measured amounts of cat fur are pressed into the carpet to size up pet-hair removal. Some vacuums stood out from the rest … but not always in a good way. This Dirt Devil stick vac scored lowest of all the small vacuums. "This model has a small opening and no brush, so it takes more passes to clean up dirt or pet hair. And it didn't do a good job on carpets, bare floors, or along edges." A far more impressive cleaner is this top-rated Hoover Flair. The 60-dollar stick vac easily pivots around furniture, and the cord has an easy-release holder. As for hand vacs, the 80-dollar Shark Perfect Pet II did equally well with cleanup. This cordless vac's powered brush and large opening helped it devour dirt on carpets and bare floors. And it inhales pet hair. Either of these small vacs can save you time and the hassle of hauling out your regular vacuum for quick cleanup jobs. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!