You can give your vacuum cleaner - and yourself - a break. Consider a hand vac or stick vac to clean up everyday messes. A hand vac is a good choice for upholstery, hard-to-reach spots, and, of course, your car. Stick vacs don't require bending and can clean beneath furniture where a hand vac may not fit. To test, Consumer Reports uses a mixture of sand, rice, and cereal to challenge 21 hand and stick vacs. In a second test, measured amounts of cat fur are pressed into the carpet to size up pet-hair removal. Some vacuums stood out from the rest … but not always in a good way. This Dirt Devil stick vac scored lowest of all the small vacuums. "This model has a small opening and no brush, so it takes more passes to clean up dirt or pet hair. And it didn't do a good job on carpets, bare floors, or along edges." A far more impressive cleaner is this top-rated Hoover Flair. The 60-dollar stick vac easily pivots around furniture, and the cord has an easy-release holder. As for hand vacs, the 80-dollar Shark Perfect Pet II did equally well with cleanup. This cordless vac's powered brush and large opening helped it devour dirt on carpets and bare floors. And it inhales pet hair. Either of these small vacs can save you time and the hassle of hauling out your regular vacuum for quick cleanup jobs. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.