Saving money at the supermarket is no easy feat, but buying store brands can help. "Buying store brands can save you a small fortune. Anywhere from 15 to 30 percent on average, depending on the category." Consumer Reports just taste-tested 57 store-brand foods from five major retailers -- Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart, Kmart, and Target, plus Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. It turns out 33 of the 57 store brands proved as high quality as the national brands, though they're not necessarily identical. Tod Marks "When we evaluate a store brand and say it's as good as a national brand, that doesn't mean it's a dead ringer in terms of the flavor. The fact is products can be equally high in quality but maybe the store brand has different seasonings or spices." However, Target's Market Pantry Ketchup tasted similar to Heinz. The mayo from Whole Foods, Target, Costco, and Walmart, while different from Hellmann's, was just as good quality.** And listen up all you die-hard Breyers ice cream fans. Tod Marks "Walmart's Great Value Vanilla ice cream came pretty close to Breyers. And not only that - it costs a third less!" And when it comes to nuts, store brands are the way to go. Consumer Reports' taste tests of cashews showed all seven of the store brands were actually better than the national brand - Emerald. Considering many stores will refund your money if you don't like a store brand, what do you have to lose - and you could save plenty. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!