Lauren Torre is finishing up a major kitchen renovation. Her most important decision … … what's cooking? She wanted a range that delivered everything she needed all-in-one. Lauren Torre, "Coming from somebody who had a really old kitchen, I could not believe how many different choices, and not just choices between brands but choices between one brand and how many different models there are." According to Consumer Reports, she's in luck. New ranges offer additional cooking options and can cost hundreds less than buying separate units - even 30-inch ranges. Take this 30-inch range with double ovens. It has a larger oven on the bottom and a smaller one on top - but maybe a little too small. This 30-inch Frigidaire double-oven range solves that problem. It has two same-sized ovens that can each handle a turkey. "We were even able to fit a 2-pound turkey in each one!" But testers found getting a turkey out of that bottom oven is no easy task! As for the stovetop … should you get gas or electric? Celia Lehrman "Chefs and cooks love gas ranges, but we've found that both gas and electric do very well in our tests." If you've got your heart set on a double-oven range, you have more options with electric. Among the top-rated - that double-oven Frigidaire for 18-hundred dollars. Both of its ovens have convection settings for faster cooking. It also simmers superbly, and the smoothtop makes cleanup a breeze. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!