Solomon Nasser landed in the repair shop when he ran into trouble with his smart phone. Solomon Nasser "It just basically stopped working." The problems had also spread to his computer. Solomon Nasser "Well, they both picked up a virus when I downloaded an app, a free app, from the Internet." Consumer Reports just tested 16 Android security apps designed to keep your smart phone or tablet safe. "These apps protect you against online threats like viruses and malware, and they also help you, if your phone is lost or stolen, to remotely lock it or find it or wipe it." Testers checked to see how well each app protects a user's privacy and also assessed extras the apps have to offer. Dean Gallea "We looked at the apps' ease of use and also their versatility, including such features as being able to back up your phone or parental controls." While some of the apps cost as much as 40 dollars a year, you don't have to pay for good mobile protection. Dean Gallea "It turns out you can't go by price, because some of the best apps we tested were free, and some of the lower-rated ones were the more expensive ones." In fact, one of the best is free. It's the Avast! Mobile Security and Antivirus app. It has nice features like parental controls, automatic backup, and an alarm you can activate if your device goes missing. "This phone has been lost or stolen." ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!