Like many people, Ilyne Rothschild enjoys streaming video content to her television. Ilyne Rothschild "You just pick it, you stream it, you watch it whenever you want." One way to stream video is with a set-top box. Consumer Reports just tested 11 basic ones, including Apple TV and Roku 3. They cost 50 to 100 dollars, and testers found big differences in how easy they are to set up and use. "When it comes to connecting to your Wi-Fi network, some of them make it a lot easier by offering the WPS push-button option, which if your router supports it, all you have to do is push a simple button to connect to your wireless network." The devices were set up in this connectivity lab to evaluate how well they deliver content to a television. All offer great picture quality, but when it comes to features, some are lacking. Christopher Andrade "Some of these boxes give you access to a lot more services, like Netflix, Vudu, and Hulu, while others are a lot more limited. Also, some of them allow you to access your personal content, like home movies, music, and photos from your cell phone, tablet, and home PC." Consumer Reports found you don't have to spend top dollar to get top performance. The Western Digital WD TV Play was the highest rated and costs just 65 dollars. It's less expensive and easier to use than both Apple TV and Roku 3. It has handy features like a remote control with dedicated app buttons, and a USB port so you can access personal media files like home movies. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.