Victoria Primavera likes to stay active. So when she started feeling achy, she began taking nutritional supplements. Victoria Primavera "I still have pain in my joints, but it's not so bad since I've been taking the glucosamine chondroitin." "Some research suggests that the combination of glucosamine and chondroitin might reduce pain in some people who have osteoarthritis in their knees, but the evidence is still inconclusive. However, we know that a lot of people are buying these supplements, so we wanted to see whether they're getting what they're paying for." Consumer Reports tested 16 popular glucosamine-chondroitin supplements -- evaluating three different samples of each. First the samples were tested to see if they contained the amount of glucosamine and chondroitin the label indicated. And they tested for heavy metals, like mercury and lead. Jaime Kopf "Our tests show that none of the supplements contained worrisome levels of lead or other toxic metals. An all of the products contained their labeled amounts of glucosamine." But one -- Nature Made Triple Flex Triple Strength -- averaged only 65 percent of the labeled amount of chondroitin. Six others averaged 79 to 87 percent. And of the 16 tested, two did not dissolve sufficiently -- indicating the ingredients might not be fully absorbed in the body. They were the Trigosamine Max Strength and 365 Everyday Value Extra Strength from Whole Foods. However, nine did meet Consumer Reports' quality criteria. The least expensive - Kirkland Signature Clinical Strength tablets from Costco. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.