What's better than ice cream? Someone else scooping it for you, of course! That's because ice cream can be downright hard to scoop. Consumer Reports ShopSmart tried out four ice cream scoops to see if they can help make "scooping" easier. There was the Oxo Good Grips scoop with a lever. And the Anti-Freeze Scoop from Crate and Barrel. Also this Zeroll Original TubMate Spade and … drum roll, please … an electric ice cream scoop from Deni. Tester Linda Greene tasked panelists with a very "difficult" job - scooping out ice cream -really dense ice cream. Panelists appreciated the lever on Oxo's scoop … but that was about it. Mike Visconti "That one didn't get into the ice cream easy." Crate and Barrel's scoop looks like a traditional scoop, but the handle is filled with liquid, which apparently your hand is supposed to warm …and hopefully make the ice cream easier to scoop. Really??? Sara Brown "It required a lot of force but it made great scoops when it actually got the ice cream out." The Paddle scoop from Zerroll got the job done, but it's a bit large for pint-sized containers. Turns out the electric ice cream scoop was the easiest to use, but it was also the priciest at 33 dollars! It's kind of big, and some panelists found the electric cord cumbersome. Plus … "It melted the ice cream around the edges, so if you like soupy ice cream, it's a good thing. If you don't, then it's not such a good thing." So while there were no clear winners, Consumer Reports says don't let that stop you! ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.