What's better than ice cream? Someone else scooping it for you, of course! That's because ice cream can be downright hard to scoop. Consumer Reports ShopSmart tried out four ice cream scoops to see if they can help make "scooping" easier. There was the Oxo Good Grips scoop with a lever. And the Anti-Freeze Scoop from Crate and Barrel. Also this Zeroll Original TubMate Spade and … drum roll, please … an electric ice cream scoop from Deni. Tester Linda Greene tasked panelists with a very "difficult" job - scooping out ice cream -really dense ice cream. Panelists appreciated the lever on Oxo's scoop … but that was about it. Mike Visconti "That one didn't get into the ice cream easy." Crate and Barrel's scoop looks like a traditional scoop, but the handle is filled with liquid, which apparently your hand is supposed to warm …and hopefully make the ice cream easier to scoop. Really??? Sara Brown "It required a lot of force but it made great scoops when it actually got the ice cream out." The Paddle scoop from Zerroll got the job done, but it's a bit large for pint-sized containers. Turns out the electric ice cream scoop was the easiest to use, but it was also the priciest at 33 dollars! It's kind of big, and some panelists found the electric cord cumbersome. Plus … "It melted the ice cream around the edges, so if you like soupy ice cream, it's a good thing. If you don't, then it's not such a good thing." So while there were no clear winners, Consumer Reports says don't let that stop you! ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!