What do you eat when you're hungry and in a hurry? "I don't know, I just like to get something crunchy and salty." "I'll get a coffee and like a muffin or a banana bread or something." "I'll grab like a little bar. Like a health bar? Health bar …" Experts at Consumer Reports say if you're satisfying your hunger with a snack bar, choose wisely. They evaluated two dozen - in strawberry, chocolate, and peanut butter flavors. "It doesn't matter if it's called a protein bar, a cereal bar, granola bar, we did find big differences in nutrition." And there are big differences in taste, too, even within brands. Take Clif bars. Clif Builder's 20-gram Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter tasted vitamin-y, chalky, and gritty. Nutritionally, more than half the fat is saturated -- and although the bar is larger than most, it was the most expensive tested -- at a dollar thirty per serving. But its sibling - the Clif Crunch Chocolate Chip Granola Bar -- cost less than half that. It rated good for nutrition, and very good for taste, with honey notes and crispy, toasted grains. When it came to the two Nature Valley bars, they were consistent for flavor. Sweet and Salty Nut and Crunchy Oats 'n Dark Chocolate rated very good for taste, though weren't the best for nutrition. So make sure you take a moment to check a bar's label, before you grab and go. "
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!