Dinner doesn't get much easier than swinging by the local pizza place. Or does it? How about pizza from your freezer? Consumer Reports evaluated 16 individual-sized frozen pizzas, both pepperoni and cheese. "We left our labs for a little off-site taste test -- and we are happy to report you can get takeout taste in your own home." Home Run Inn Classic was top rated - both cheese and pepperoni. In fact, tasters said it was higher quality than both Domino's and Pizza Hut. They were loaded with fresh-tasting sauce and lots of stretchy cheese. But these are a fat and calorie splurge compared to others in the freezer case. Red Baron Singles Deep Dish are Consumer Reports Best Buys and fared a bit better for nutrition. The pastry-like crust had noticeably crispy edges, with slightly spicy sauce and stretchy cheese. Many of the individual pizzas tested are also microwaveable and have packaging specially designed to crisp the crust. But testers found it's not the best way to go. Erin Riddell "We found that some of the ones you can microwave, you're probably better off if you cook them in the oven." So keep a few frozen pizzas on hand for a convenient, tasty choice when hunger hits. "
More On Your Side Stories
- Netflix vs. Amazon which is the better choice?
- How Rent-to-Own "deals" can bust your budget
- Consumer Reports tested dozens of grills -- and has found some real winners
- "Can you Hear me now"?
- Consumer Reports has just tested of Samsung's latest smartphone, the Galaxy S6
- Sunscreen is essential to guard against sunburn, skin damage and cancer
- Is Online Gift Wrap Worth It?
- Best Lawn Mowers
- Should You Buy a Mattress Online ?
- Safer Cars for Teens