Dinner doesn't get much easier than swinging by the local pizza place. Or does it? How about pizza from your freezer? Consumer Reports evaluated 16 individual-sized frozen pizzas, both pepperoni and cheese. "We left our labs for a little off-site taste test -- and we are happy to report you can get takeout taste in your own home." Home Run Inn Classic was top rated - both cheese and pepperoni. In fact, tasters said it was higher quality than both Domino's and Pizza Hut. They were loaded with fresh-tasting sauce and lots of stretchy cheese. But these are a fat and calorie splurge compared to others in the freezer case. Red Baron Singles Deep Dish are Consumer Reports Best Buys and fared a bit better for nutrition. The pastry-like crust had noticeably crispy edges, with slightly spicy sauce and stretchy cheese. Many of the individual pizzas tested are also microwaveable and have packaging specially designed to crisp the crust. But testers found it's not the best way to go. Erin Riddell "We found that some of the ones you can microwave, you're probably better off if you cook them in the oven." So keep a few frozen pizzas on hand for a convenient, tasty choice when hunger hits. "
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.