As a home pastry chef, Teryn Beyer saves tons of time by using her food processor. Teryn Buyer "If I have a big order for carrot cakes, instead of sitting there with the grater and the carrots, I can just throw them all in here and it grates them perfectly… or it can chop nuts, or anything!" In the market for a food processor? Consumer Reports tested 20. This Breville Sous Chef vaulted past the top-rated Cuisinart processor - acing many of Consumer Reports' tough tests -- including slicing mushrooms ... ... and shredding carrots. Dan DiClerico, "And it's relatively quiet, so you can easily have a conversation while you're working." This Sous Chef has a 16-cup work bowl, a mini-bowl insert, and a case where you can neatly and safely store a ton of blades and accessories. But it's 18 inches tall and weighs nearly 20 pounds. Dan DiClerico "This is clearly a high-end product that requires premium counter space. It does also come at a premium price - 400 dollars!" If you can live with less than perfect results, consider this 50-dollar Hamilton Beach -- model number 70730. It has a decent-size 10-cup work bowl and is fairly light for easy storage. And while it didn't do a great job puréeing peas, it was very good at slicing mushrooms and did an excellent job shredding carrots. Dan DiClerico "The downside is, it's very noisy!" Still, it does a lot really well and at a price that's hard to beat. "
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!