This Safety Spair commercial promises to repair your punctured flat tire without changing it. "Safety Spair that automatically fixes flats." Consumer Reports tested Safety Spair, along with other tire-sealant compressor kits, as well as aerosol cans that promise a quick fix. To test, this car was outfitted with 15-inch, all-season tires. Gene Petersen punctured one of the tires with a small nail and put the products to work. All the aerosol cans were able to seal the small hole and inflate the tire, which kept going for more than 100 miles. But Consumer Reports found all the cans had difficulty with larger holes. And since an aerosol can is under pressure, you can't keep it in your car in hot weather. "It can explode. So that kind of limits its use. You're not going to keep it in your car. You're probably going to keep it at home, and when you need to use it, it's not going to be with you." The compressor units are more expensive but can be safely stored in your car. You plug the compressor into your car's power adapter and attach the sealant canister to your tire. All the compressor kits fixed even larger holes. They also come with a gauge to make sure you're inflating to the recommended pressure. Consumer Reports found the 80-dollar ContiComfortKit works the fastest, with enough sealant to repair a wide variety of tire sizes. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!