If you're in the market for a new pair of glasses, like some Consumer Reports' readers, you're buying them from a mom-and-pop store, like this. Peter Schub "Honestly, I really think it's the personal service …" He's right. The Consumer Reports National Research Center's survey of nearly 20-thousand subscribers finds people who shopped locally are some of the most satisfied. Margot Gilman Consumer Reports "Readers gave independent shops and private doctors' offices top marks for the quality of the glasses, but also for customer care and follow-up service." But they're also among the costliest places to shop. You can save big on eyewear -- as much as 40 percent according to Consumer Reports -- if you know where to shop. You'll get the biggest bang for your buck at Costco. Cost-conscious shoppers can expect to pay less than 200 dollars for a new pair of glasses -- and still get above-average quality, service, and staff expertise. But Costco's selection isn't as impressive. For a huge selection and low prices, shop online. Margot Gilman "It can be more work. You have to try the frames on and then find them online, but you can save a bundle." Two sites to check out --FramesDirect.com and Eyeglasses.com. But if service and follow-up care are important to you, Costco, private doctors' offices, and independent shops are good bets. And ask about price matching -- it can't hurt. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!