Headed back to campus? Navigating those back-to-school purchases can be overwhelming, but Jarred DiPaola and his dorm mates have it all figured out. Jarred DiPaola) "Microwaveable food is delicious, so I recommend a microwave and mini-fridge, especially a mini-fridge with a freezer in it." Consumer Reports tests hundreds of appliances and can help. Celia Lehrman) "It's nice to have some of the comforts of home with you when you're on your own." A mini-fridge is a must. However, Consumer Reports has found that some compact fridges have trouble keeping their cool. But not this 220-dollar Frigidaire. It's got a decent-sized freezer, too. And then there's that must-have jolt of caffeine first thing in the morning. How about a coffee pod machine? This Nescafé Dolce Gusto from DeLonghi for 130 dollars is top-rated. "This machine was quick to brew that all important first cup, and pods are easier. There are no messy coffee grounds to clean up." And its compact size is a real "perk" for small spaces. And this one's a little outside the box -- a breakfast sandwich maker for hunger attacks, whenever they hit. Consumer Reports' Bernie Deitrick checked out this 30-dollar Sandwich Maker from Hamilton Beach. All you do is build your ingredients, press a button, and minutes later … a nice egg sandwich. Bernie Deitrick "It's really convenient. It's a little slower than using a stove, but it makes a great breakfast sandwich." Getting these small appliances can help get you set up like Jarred, so going away to college doesn't mean giving up all the comforts of home. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.