Headed back to campus? Navigating those back-to-school purchases can be overwhelming, but Jarred DiPaola and his dorm mates have it all figured out. Jarred DiPaola) "Microwaveable food is delicious, so I recommend a microwave and mini-fridge, especially a mini-fridge with a freezer in it." Consumer Reports tests hundreds of appliances and can help. Celia Lehrman) "It's nice to have some of the comforts of home with you when you're on your own." A mini-fridge is a must. However, Consumer Reports has found that some compact fridges have trouble keeping their cool. But not this 220-dollar Frigidaire. It's got a decent-sized freezer, too. And then there's that must-have jolt of caffeine first thing in the morning. How about a coffee pod machine? This Nescafé Dolce Gusto from DeLonghi for 130 dollars is top-rated. "This machine was quick to brew that all important first cup, and pods are easier. There are no messy coffee grounds to clean up." And its compact size is a real "perk" for small spaces. And this one's a little outside the box -- a breakfast sandwich maker for hunger attacks, whenever they hit. Consumer Reports' Bernie Deitrick checked out this 30-dollar Sandwich Maker from Hamilton Beach. All you do is build your ingredients, press a button, and minutes later … a nice egg sandwich. Bernie Deitrick "It's really convenient. It's a little slower than using a stove, but it makes a great breakfast sandwich." Getting these small appliances can help get you set up like Jarred, so going away to college doesn't mean giving up all the comforts of home. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!