Whether you use … powders … pods … or liquids and gel in your dishwasher, you want your dishes to come out clean and shiny. Consumer Reports tested 35 dishwasher detergents to find the best. Awilda Cruz challenged the detergents to some very tough tests! First she makes a sticky batter of 17 ingredients, including egg yolks … cheese whiz … peanut butter … and rice. It's all blended together … … and then spread onto glass plates in measured amounts. The plates are baked in the microwave and left to sit for an hour before going into the dishwasher. Pots are brushed with macaroni and cheese. Once it's cooked on, those go into the dishwasher next to the dirty plates. Not all the detergents could get the dishware sparkling clean. Testers also check for white film buildup. That plate on the right used to be clear. "When companies switched to phosphate-free detergents that are better for the environment, a filmy white buildup was a real problem. Our latest tets show detergents have gotten much better at preventing that." But the problem hasn't totally evaporated. This clear plate turned white after 20 cycles when washed with BabyGanics Dishwasher Detergent. In the end, only one detergent rated excellent for cleaning pots - Cascade Complete ActionPacs. But if cleaning pots isn't a priority, you can save some money with Finish Gelpacs, a Consumer Reports Best Buy at 21 cents a load. It did a terrific job on dishes. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Netflix vs. Amazon which is the better choice?
- How Rent-to-Own "deals" can bust your budget
- Consumer Reports tested dozens of grills -- and has found some real winners
- "Can you Hear me now"?
- Consumer Reports has just tested of Samsung's latest smartphone, the Galaxy S6
- Sunscreen is essential to guard against sunburn, skin damage and cancer
- Is Online Gift Wrap Worth It?
- Best Lawn Mowers
- Should You Buy a Mattress Online ?
- Safer Cars for Teens