Whether you use … powders … pods … or liquids and gel in your dishwasher, you want your dishes to come out clean and shiny. Consumer Reports tested 35 dishwasher detergents to find the best. Awilda Cruz challenged the detergents to some very tough tests! First she makes a sticky batter of 17 ingredients, including egg yolks … cheese whiz … peanut butter … and rice. It's all blended together … … and then spread onto glass plates in measured amounts. The plates are baked in the microwave and left to sit for an hour before going into the dishwasher. Pots are brushed with macaroni and cheese. Once it's cooked on, those go into the dishwasher next to the dirty plates. Not all the detergents could get the dishware sparkling clean. Testers also check for white film buildup. That plate on the right used to be clear. "When companies switched to phosphate-free detergents that are better for the environment, a filmy white buildup was a real problem. Our latest tets show detergents have gotten much better at preventing that." But the problem hasn't totally evaporated. This clear plate turned white after 20 cycles when washed with BabyGanics Dishwasher Detergent. In the end, only one detergent rated excellent for cleaning pots - Cascade Complete ActionPacs. But if cleaning pots isn't a priority, you can save some money with Finish Gelpacs, a Consumer Reports Best Buy at 21 cents a load. It did a terrific job on dishes. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.