Whether you use … powders … pods … or liquids and gel in your dishwasher, you want your dishes to come out clean and shiny. Consumer Reports tested 35 dishwasher detergents to find the best. Awilda Cruz challenged the detergents to some very tough tests! First she makes a sticky batter of 17 ingredients, including egg yolks … cheese whiz … peanut butter … and rice. It's all blended together … … and then spread onto glass plates in measured amounts. The plates are baked in the microwave and left to sit for an hour before going into the dishwasher. Pots are brushed with macaroni and cheese. Once it's cooked on, those go into the dishwasher next to the dirty plates. Not all the detergents could get the dishware sparkling clean. Testers also check for white film buildup. That plate on the right used to be clear. "When companies switched to phosphate-free detergents that are better for the environment, a filmy white buildup was a real problem. Our latest tets show detergents have gotten much better at preventing that." But the problem hasn't totally evaporated. This clear plate turned white after 20 cycles when washed with BabyGanics Dishwasher Detergent. In the end, only one detergent rated excellent for cleaning pots - Cascade Complete ActionPacs. But if cleaning pots isn't a priority, you can save some money with Finish Gelpacs, a Consumer Reports Best Buy at 21 cents a load. It did a terrific job on dishes. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!