High-fiber cereals have come a long way. Amy Keating "Our first tests, 14 years ago, found that many of the fiber-rich cereals tasted more like straw than grain." But in Consumer Reports latest tests of 26 cereals, mostly high in fiber, more than two-thirds tasted very good. One even rated excellent, Bear Naked Fruit and Nut Granola. But its overall nutrition rating is only fair -- and it has just two grams of fiber per serving. "Granolas are often thought of as a healthful choice, but they're among the highest in fat and calories, so just be careful how much you pour." Much better -- four cereals that were very tasty and very nutritious -- with a lot more fiber. Kellogg's All-Bran Original, with 10 grams of fiber; Post Shredded Wheat Wheat 'n Bran, with 9 grams; Post Grape-Nuts the Original, with 7 grams; and Post Shredded Wheat Original, with 6 grams of fiber. Amy Keating "But name-brand cereals can be expensive. We found two very tasty store-brands that are Consumer Reports Best Buys." One, Market Pantry Frosted Shredded Wheat from Target, is sweet, with a toasted-wheat flavor. It delivers six grams of fiber. The second, Great Value Raisin Bran from Walmart, has a little more fiber. In milk the flakes lost some crunch but didn't become soggy, even after two minutes. Either is a great, healthy way to start your day. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!