This is the most reliable new car you can buy - the 2014 Subaru Forester SUV. That according to Consumer Reports' just-released auto survey. To find out which cars are least likely to give you trouble, Consumer Reports asked subscribers if they'd had any serious car problems in the last 12 months. "We gathered responses on 1.1 million cars, and we used that huge sampling of data to predict how well new cars that are now on sale will hold up." The most reliable carmakers? Lexus, Toyota, and Acura - all Japanese brands - took the top three spots. But something new in the survey this year … Rik Paul "European and American manufacturers have moved up in the rankings. They're giving the Japanese automakers some tough competition." In fourth place - Audi, making it the most reliable European brand. And Volvo, also European, jumped up to number seven. GMC, with SUVs like the Acadia, was named the top American brand at number nine. But the news for Ford and Lincoln was not so good. Rik Paul "Ford and Lincoln have had trouble with the MyTouch 'infotainment' system for the last two years. Our survey found that complaints went down after Ford updated the system, but the rate of problems is still too high." Overall, Ford ended up near the bottom of the new-car reliability rankings. And at the very bottom: Cars from Mini had the most problems in Consumer Reports' survey. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!