In the heat of the summer, smoothies are always a hit. The staff at this shop says having the right blender allows them to whip up people's favorite combos quickly and easily. Looking for smoothie-store results at home? That's where Consumer Reports weighs in. "A good blender is great to have. It can do a ton of things, but making smooth icy drinks is definitely the toughest." Consumer Reports tested pro-style blenders, like the 400-dollar Vitamix and the 300-dollar L'Equip, as well as less-expensive blenders from KitchenAid and Ninja Master Prep Professional. Ice crushing is one measure of performance. Consumer Reports also uses ice to test durability. Testers found a serious problem with this Calphalon blender. During durability tests, a piece of the blade broke off. Dan DiClerico, "Can you imagine 'drinking' one of these, or worse yet, swallowing it?" Consumer Reports tested two more of the Calphalon blenders and the blade broke every time. Therefore Consumer Reports has judged the Calphalon XL 9 Speed Blender a Don't Buy: Safety Risk. Another tough test - whipping up piña coladas. Some of the blenders left behind chunks of ice. But others did a much better job. The 400-dollar Vitamix aced the tests, but so did the Ninja Master Prep Professional for just 60 dollars. And the Ninja comes with smaller chopping and processing bowls, too. So there's no need to leave home in order to enjoy a great fruit smoothie. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!