In the heat of the summer, smoothies are always a hit. The staff at this shop says having the right blender allows them to whip up people's favorite combos quickly and easily. Looking for smoothie-store results at home? That's where Consumer Reports weighs in. "A good blender is great to have. It can do a ton of things, but making smooth icy drinks is definitely the toughest." Consumer Reports tested pro-style blenders, like the 400-dollar Vitamix and the 300-dollar L'Equip, as well as less-expensive blenders from KitchenAid and Ninja Master Prep Professional. Ice crushing is one measure of performance. Consumer Reports also uses ice to test durability. Testers found a serious problem with this Calphalon blender. During durability tests, a piece of the blade broke off. Dan DiClerico, "Can you imagine 'drinking' one of these, or worse yet, swallowing it?" Consumer Reports tested two more of the Calphalon blenders and the blade broke every time. Therefore Consumer Reports has judged the Calphalon XL 9 Speed Blender a Don't Buy: Safety Risk. Another tough test - whipping up piña coladas. Some of the blenders left behind chunks of ice. But others did a much better job. The 400-dollar Vitamix aced the tests, but so did the Ninja Master Prep Professional for just 60 dollars. And the Ninja comes with smaller chopping and processing bowls, too. So there's no need to leave home in order to enjoy a great fruit smoothie. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.