Bacon, it seems, is enjoying its 15 minutes of fame! You can add some sizzle to your toothbrushing with bacon toothpaste. Satisfy your salty-sweet crave with bacon frosting. There's even bacon soap and bacon bandages. It feels like there's bacon in the air, everywhere! But after testing 15 different bacons, experts at Consumer Reports want to remind us that it is not exactly a health food. Just two slices of pork bacon can have about 80 calories and between 200 and 400 milligrams of sodium. "Some of the bacon we tested is made out of turkey, and while that is a healthier option, it is not going to fool your taste buds into thinking it's the real thing." Instead, try Kirkland Signature pork bacon from Costco. It is the only one that rates excellent for taste. It crisps up nicely and consistently has a balanced blend of fat and meat flavors, with just the right amount of smoky sweetness. Adam Kaplan "Kirkland only comes in a giant four-pack, but you can freeze unopened bacon for several months." Consumer Reports says two very good alternatives are Oscar Mayer Thick Cut bacon, which has a wood-smoke flavor with some sweetness … … And Great Value Lower Sodium bacon from Walmart -- which is a smart choice if you are watching your sodium. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Netflix vs. Amazon which is the better choice?
- How Rent-to-Own "deals" can bust your budget
- Consumer Reports tested dozens of grills -- and has found some real winners
- "Can you Hear me now"?
- Consumer Reports has just tested of Samsung's latest smartphone, the Galaxy S6
- Sunscreen is essential to guard against sunburn, skin damage and cancer
- Is Online Gift Wrap Worth It?
- Best Lawn Mowers
- Should You Buy a Mattress Online ?
- Safer Cars for Teens