Bacon, it seems, is enjoying its 15 minutes of fame! You can add some sizzle to your toothbrushing with bacon toothpaste. Satisfy your salty-sweet crave with bacon frosting. There's even bacon soap and bacon bandages. It feels like there's bacon in the air, everywhere! But after testing 15 different bacons, experts at Consumer Reports want to remind us that it is not exactly a health food. Just two slices of pork bacon can have about 80 calories and between 200 and 400 milligrams of sodium. "Some of the bacon we tested is made out of turkey, and while that is a healthier option, it is not going to fool your taste buds into thinking it's the real thing." Instead, try Kirkland Signature pork bacon from Costco. It is the only one that rates excellent for taste. It crisps up nicely and consistently has a balanced blend of fat and meat flavors, with just the right amount of smoky sweetness. Adam Kaplan "Kirkland only comes in a giant four-pack, but you can freeze unopened bacon for several months." Consumer Reports says two very good alternatives are Oscar Mayer Thick Cut bacon, which has a wood-smoke flavor with some sweetness … … And Great Value Lower Sodium bacon from Walmart -- which is a smart choice if you are watching your sodium. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!