Bacon, it seems, is enjoying its 15 minutes of fame! You can add some sizzle to your toothbrushing with bacon toothpaste. Satisfy your salty-sweet crave with bacon frosting. There's even bacon soap and bacon bandages. It feels like there's bacon in the air, everywhere! But after testing 15 different bacons, experts at Consumer Reports want to remind us that it is not exactly a health food. Just two slices of pork bacon can have about 80 calories and between 200 and 400 milligrams of sodium. "Some of the bacon we tested is made out of turkey, and while that is a healthier option, it is not going to fool your taste buds into thinking it's the real thing." Instead, try Kirkland Signature pork bacon from Costco. It is the only one that rates excellent for taste. It crisps up nicely and consistently has a balanced blend of fat and meat flavors, with just the right amount of smoky sweetness. Adam Kaplan "Kirkland only comes in a giant four-pack, but you can freeze unopened bacon for several months." Consumer Reports says two very good alternatives are Oscar Mayer Thick Cut bacon, which has a wood-smoke flavor with some sweetness … … And Great Value Lower Sodium bacon from Walmart -- which is a smart choice if you are watching your sodium. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.