Sticker price is one thing, but how much will a car really cost you? The Nissan Versa, for example, is one of the least expensive cars sold, but Consumer Reports says its poor reliability means it could cost you in the long run. Turns out paying 500 dollars more for the Hyundai Accent is a better value, with better reliability, and it's a much nicer car to boot. Consumer Reports is just out with its list of the "best new-car values." "Our value scores are based on three elements: our road-test scores, predicted reliability from our Annual Auto Survey, and our estimate of how much it'll cost to own the car for five years." Consumer Reports says the Toyota Prius offers the best value. With a sticker price that's under 30-thousand dollars, Consumer Reports says over time the Prius costs a very economical 49 cents a mile to own. On the other end of the spectrum - the BMW 750Li. Its sticker price is almost a 100-thousand dollars and a whopping one dollar and 80 cents a mile to own - the worst value on Consumer Reports' list. Rik Paul, "Every category from small cars to SUVs have both good and bad performers. But if you want some space and want a good value, we recommend a wagon, a small SUV or a minivan." Some good choices include the Toyota Sienna and the Mazda5. So next time you're shopping for a car, pick one that'll save you money in the long run. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!