Freshly made chocolate covered strawberries … luscious truffles … heart-shaped candies. What should you get your valentine? At this Godiva store, customers have nothing but love for chocolate. "It tastes really good, and I'm always in the mood for it." "It's a perfect gift to get, and everybody loves it." "Chocolate always puts someone in a good mood." But this is how Consumer Reports' taste testers feel after they finish testing chocolate. "You feel completely nauseated, you have a bellyache, and you really don't want to eat anything for the rest of the day." Consumer Reports evaluated more than 30 boxes of gift chocolates. One of the priciest is this Richart Petits Collection Intense Ballotin. It goes for 67 dollars plus shipping. But it wasn't the best. "The chocolate coatings are chalky, and some of the fillings reminded us of soap." Far better, but still pricey - the Norman Love Confections 25-piece Signature Gift Box, with ultra smooth chocolates and unusual fillings. It costs 49 dollars, and with shipping you'll pay more than 60. Erin Gudeux, "The good news - our testers found some very good chocolates that cost far less. And you can find them in stores, so no shipping!" Among them is this box of Ferrero Collection Fine Assorted Confections for just 11 dollars! Erin Gudeux "The truffles are flavorful, and the crisp wafer coatings and nuts add interesting texture." And this Godiva box is a very nice choice - the Gold Ballotin 36-piece box for 40 dollars - especially if your Valentine likes really sweet chocolates. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.