Go to buy a new car and you want one that stays out of the repair shop. You've got a good chance with Toyota. Consumer Reports says it's the most reliable carmaker out there. The findings are based on subscribers' experience with more than a million vehicles. "Toyota's three brands, Scion, Toyota, and Lexus, finished first, second, and third for reliability." Those three automakers were followed by Mazda, Subaru, Honda, and Acura - all Japanese brands. Ford's reliability, in sharp contrast, dropped way down this year. Rik Paul "Just two years ago, more than 90 percent of Fords were average or better for reliability. But in the last couple of years, they've released some new or redesigned models that have had more problems than normal." These models include the Explorer, the Fiesta, and the Focus. Also problematic: Ford's relatively new electronic infotainment system. Rik Paul "General Motors did better in our latest rankings. Cadillac was the top U.S. brand, and its CTS coupe was the most reliable domestic car." The most reliable car of all is the Toyota Prius C. In fact, all the Priuses have above-average reliability. Rik Paul "When the Toyota Prius was released 12 years ago, there was a lot of skepticism about how well it would hold up. But we're finding that most hybrids and electric vehicles are proving very reliable." ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!