The world of tablets keeps growing. New entries include the Nook HD and HD-plus, the iPad Mini, and the Surface - Microsoft's first tablet. Consumer Reports tests to find the best. While the top ones all have something to offer, there are big differences. For example, the 500-dollar Surface has a superb 10-inch screen plus a handy stand, and you can get a cover with a built-in keyboard. However, when it comes to content, Microsoft has a way to go. "Windows tablets lack access to the big content selection from Apple or the Android Marketplace, or even the Amazon and Barnes and Noble content offerings." Size is another important consideration - the 7-point-8-inch i-Pad Mini is Apple's first smaller tablet, competing with other small tablets like the Barnes and Noble Nook HD and Kindle Fire HD from Amazon. Consumer Reports finds in many ways the Mini is every bit as good as the bigger i-Pads. The screen offers crisp text, optimal photo viewing, and good sound. The 330-dollar i-Pad Mini is also light, making it extra portable. But for 200 dollars, the Barnes and Noble Nook HD is well worth considering. Sharp text that fills the 7-inch screen makes reading a pleasure. However, the larger 9-inch Nook H-D-plus is a better choice if you're a magazine lover. It starts at 270 dollars. Paul Reynolds "The iPad still offers the most content, and its screen's a little bigger than the Nook HD+. But at 500 dollars and up, it costs almost twice as much." Consumer Reports says no matter what your priorities are, there's never been a better selection of tablets to choose from. "
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.