Terry Voltaggio stays fit with the help of an app on her smart phone - MyFitnessPal. It's an easy way to track calories. Terry Voltaggio "All I have to do is find the food I've eaten, select the number of servings, and it goes right into my calorie count for the day." MyFitnessPal was among the top-rated in Consumer Reports' survey of its subscribers who were asked about their real-life experiences with 13 popular ways to lose weight. Nancy Metcalf "People who used MyFitnessPal said it made them very aware of how many calories they were eating and how much they were exercising. They also liked how it helped them maintain their weight loss." MyFitnessPal has useful features like a barcode scanner that automatically enters the amount of calories per serving. You can also track how many calories you burn exercising. And on its website you can get encouragement from others using the program. "Besides the do-it-yourself diets like MyFitnessPal, we also rated commercial diets, which you generally have to pay to join and in some cases buy their prepackaged food." Nutrisystem was the lowest-rated commercial diet. More than a third of those surveyed who tried it didn't like the plan's food. Nancy Metcalf "Among commercial diet plans, Weight Watchers scored much higher - higher than Jenny Craig. It works a bit differently. You don't have to buy their food, and you can eat whatever you want within their points limit." You can attend Weight Watchers meetings and track your diet online. However, Terry is happy with MyFitnessPal, which is free. Terry Voltaggio "I'll lose ten pounds easy. It's a great tool for me." ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!