Fernando Olivira "How are you?" At this restaurant, maître d' Fernando Olivira sees people's choices change when hotter months roll around. Fernando Olivira "In the summertime they definitely prefer a white wine. It's just much more lighter, crisper, cleaner." Whether you're choosing a wine at a restaurant or at home, you want to be sure you'll enjoy it. Consumer Reports just tested dozens of white wines - 22 pinot grigios and 16 rieslings. Wine experts look for a wine's distinct qualities when tasting. "Pinot grigio is a fairly simple varietal. It's generally dry, and it's generally leaner and lighter than many other white wines." Pinot grigio is good with light pasta dishes or grilled fish. Rieslings can vary a lot. Paul Reynolds "Drier rieslings are quite versatile and go well with everything from pork, veal, and scallops to milder cheeses." And a sweeter riesling can be a good dessert wine. When Consumer Reports' tests were done, there were plenty of very good, inexpensive wines to choose from. For riesling, the 2010 Hogue Late Harvest topped the ratings. It costs ten dollars a bottle. For a pinot grigio, try the 2010 Black Swan Vineyards. It rated very good, and it costs a "light" eight dollars a bottle. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!