A moist, perfectly browned turkey is a must on Thanksgiving. And it isn't complete without a delicious stuffing. Of course, preparing a holiday dinner from scratch is a lot of work. Can you wow your guests with a store-bought stuffing? Consumer Reports tested 11 to see if you can cut a few corners and still get tasty results. Testers looked at ones from Stovetop … Arnold … Pepperidge Farm, and even Great Value from Walmart. Each stuffing was prepared according to directions - adding ingredients like butter or margarine, celery, onions, and broth. "We want a stuffing to have a fresh broth flavor, not bouillon, and you want it to taste of fresh vegetables, not dried or dried herbs." These stuffings didn't come close to homemade. Ellen Klosz "Most of the stuffings tasted of chewy vegetables, crunchy crumbs, dried seasonings, overpowering herbs, and a flavor of bouillon." But testers say there's hope. Two from Pepperidge Farm - the Herb Seasoned and Cornbread stuffings - are fresh-tasting, flavorful, and moist. Ellen Klosz "Both of the Pepperidge Farm stuffings called for fresh ingredients, sautéed onions and celery. It's a little more work, but it's worth it for the taste." Consumer Reports says both would be a tasty addition to your Thanksgiving dinner… and no one need ever know the stuffing isn't homemade. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!