When it comes to sparkling wines, turns out there's cause for celebration. Wine experts at Consumer Reports tested 11 sparkling wines costing anywhere from five to 37 dollars. "If you want to find a good sparkling wine that's not that expensive, there are plenty of choices." In fact, Consumer Reports says that when it comes to sparkling wine, a higher price doesn't necessarily mean higher quality. Four of the wines tested -- including this 30-dollar bottle of Piper Heidsieck, a French Champagne -- weren't even good enough to make Consumer Reports' initial cut. Adam Kaplan "They were OK, but they had some off-notes, so we concentrated on some of the better wines in our tests." After swirling ... sniffing ... and sipping ... three were named Consumer Reports Best Buys. Among them this Blanc de Noirs from Gloria Ferrer, a California Vintner. It was smooth, with hints of ripe fruit, and costs just 16 dollars a bottle. And for 14 dollars, this Gruet Blanc de Noirs -- from New Mexico - rated even higher. It combines slightly yeasty flavors and a nice mix of tropical fruit, apple, and pear. Adam Kaplan "For sparkling wines, which can be kind of expensive, these were a great combination of both price and quality." So go ahead - enjoy some bubbly at your next dinner party. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!