Chef Leslie Lampert is well known for her soups. She makes all kinds and says the key to her success is her immersion blender. Leslie Lampert "You just put it in whatever size pot you have, and you can blend the entire contents of the stock pot in one fell swoop." While Leslie uses a big industrial immersion blender, there are many available for home kitchens. Consumer Reports tested six to see if the blenders are all they're cooked up to be. Mandy Walker "To use these blenders, you hold them in one hand, dip them in whatever you want to mix, and then push a button to start." Some immersion blenders come with a chopper and a whisk. So you can use them to mix smoothies and whisk eggs, as well as purée soup. To test, Consumer Reports puréed soup … … and blended frozen strawberries and peaches with yogurt to make smoothies. The most expensive blender tested was the Bamix Professional for 180 dollars. "However it wasn't as good as the others at puréeing soups, and it was the lowest-rated blender." And the Waring Pro Professional blender left behind a lot of chunks of unchopped fruit. But Consumer Reports did find some winners and named this 50-dollar Miallegro MiTutto a Best Buy. It rated excellent at puréeing soups and did nearly as well at making smoothies. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!