Tyler Carfi "Siri, where's the nearest ATM?" Tyler Carfi loves Siri, Apple's much-acclaimed voice-recognition feature. Tyler Carfi "I can just ask Siri where's the nearest coffee shop. It's really convenient." Consumer Reports says two top examples of voice-recognition apps are Robin and Speak-To-It. You can download them onto your phone for free. "Speak-To-It is available on several platforms, including iPhone, whereas Robin is exclusively for the Android platform." Both apps do well with some requests. Mike Gikas "Navigate home." Robin "Absolutely. Looking for directions to home." Mike Gikas "Show me pictures of the Eiffel Tower." "I found a few pictures of Eiffel Tower for you." But both struggle with other questions. Mike Gikas "How much is three plus six?" Robin "Let's ask Google for how much is three plus six" Mike Gikas "Set up a meeting with Ann Burr Tenthoff at six o'clock." "I don't think I'm qualified to answer that yet." Siri, on the other hand, has no problem with similar requests. Siri "I scheduled your event with Paul Reynolds for 4:30 PM tomorrow." And Siri can add! Bottom line? Siri remains the voice recognition stand-out. Mike Gikas "Siri is hardwired into your iPhone and has access to much more of your personal information. And that's an edge that none of the other apps can really compete with." Tyler agrees. Tyler Carfi "Where's the nearest coffee shop?" Siri "I have found 14 coffee shops. Five of them are fairly close to you." ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.