Nearly half of all adult Americans take prescription medication regularly. Pharmacist "Can you verify your address for me?" But for common ailments like allergies … … acid reflux … or aches and pains, the best remedy might already be in your medicine cabinet. "Our analysis shows that many over-the-counter medications work just as well or better than prescription drugs for a whole host of ailments." For heartburn, purple Nexium and colorful Prevacid are popular prescriptions. But nonprescription Tums or generic antacids cost a lot less and can relieve occasional heartburn. Consumer Reports says for more serious heartburn, there are over-the-counter options, too. Dr. John Santa "Even if you've been diagnosed with acid reflux or GERD, research shows that over-the-counter Prilosec or Prevacid work just as effectively as pricier prescription drugs." Even better, generic omeprazole, which can save you as much as 192 dollars a month. For allergy sufferers, over-the-counter antihistamine pills like Claritin … Alavert …Zyrtec … and their generics are just as effective as the prescription drugs Astepro, Clarinex, and Xyzal. You could save up to 148 dollars a month. And for joint pain, prescription Celebrex provides relief. But over-the-counter drugs like Advil… Tylenol … Aleve … and their generics may work just as well and could save as much as 265 dollars a month. Whether you're taking an over-the-counter drug or a prescription, talk to your doctor if symptoms continue more than ten days. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!