Repairman Vinnie Giordano says ranges always seem to stop working just when you're about to cook a big dinner. Vinnie Giordano "People call in a panic because their stove's been broken. They want to get it fixed as quickly as possible." Consumer Reports' survey covering more than 67-thousand gas and electric ranges bought in the last five years finds big differences in reliability. For instance, popular brands like KitchenAid and Jenn-Air were among the most repair-prone. "We do this survey every year, and while we don't have repair histories of individual models, we've found you're much less likely to need repairs if you buy from a brand with a good record of reliability." The most reliable electric ranges: Hotpoint, General Electric, and Whirlpool. And if you're in the market for a gas range, among the most reliable have been Hotpoint, GE, and Kenmore. What about pro-style ranges that can cost thousands? Consumer Reports surveyed more than 500 of its readers who own one. Celia Lehrman, "The repair-rate is significantly higher for these expensive ranges. Of those bought in the last five years, more than a third needed to be repaired. And nine percent of them needed to be repaired three times or more." That means you'll have less chance of needing Vinnie if you skip a pro range and get a regular stove from one of the more reliable brands. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!