Whether you are buying a holiday gift … or you need a new appliance … you're often urged to buy a service plan. Even online, many sites offer an "extended protection plan" before you check out. But Consumer Reports' Tony Giorgianni says service plans are almost never worth it. "Our reader survey shows that products don't break down that much during the service contract period. And even if they do, it doesn't cost that much more to repair them than it does for the contract itself." Extended service plans are expensive. They can boost your costs by 30 percent or more and run into hundreds of dollars. Tony Giorgianni "If you pay for a repair yourself, there's a better chance that it's going to be done correctly and quicker than if you had it repaired under contract." That's what Allen Peacock found when his dryer broke. He was told he'd have to wait three weeks to have it repaired under the service contract. Allen Peacock "I expected prompt service. And instead was told kinda you're out of luck, fella." Consumer Reports says better than buying a service plan is paying with a credit card. Many cards automatically extend the manufacturer's warranty up to a year, so check your terms. Calling the manufacturer can pay off, too. Tony Giorgianni "Just because the manufacturer's warranty has expired doesn't necessarily mean that you're out of luck. If you contact the manufacturer and make a good argument, there's a good chance the company will pay for part or all of the repair." ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.