A good olive oil is a real treat, whether you're dipping a piece of crusty bread into it … … adding it to a bean salad … … or drizzling it onto a tomato, mozzarella, and basil appetizer. Consumer Reports just tested 23 extra-virgin olive oils from countries including Italy and Spain, as well as the state of California. Expert consultants assess freshness and olive fruit flavors and determine if there are any defects, like oxidation. "As the oil ages, it goes from slightly stale, wet cardboard, papier-mâché flavors all the way to rancid, painty notes." Extra-virgin olive oils are supposed to be top quality. Erin Gudeux "It not only has to pass some basic lab tests, but on top of that it has to have an absolutely defect-free flavor, no off-notes at all." But testers found only nine of the 23 oils truly tasted like extra-virgin olive oil. And several big name oils, including ones labeled extra-virgin from Bertolli and Goya, rated only fair. But Consumer Reports did find two excellent olive oils. Both hail from California. The McEvoy Ranch olive oil has an intense aroma with a distinct, balanced olive fruit flavor. But it's pricey at 22-dollars a bottle. Far less - Trader Joe's California Estate olive oil at six dollars a bottle. It has very complex and balanced flavors, with a strong aroma. Either would be a welcome addition to any dish that calls for drizzled olive oil. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!