"Every month Consumer Reports asks a cross section of Americans about specific financial troubles they've faced in the past 30 days, like missing a loan payment. The responses are tallied in the Consumer Reports Index Trouble Tracker. Good news. In November, the Trouble Tracker fell to its lowest level - lower than it's been since Consumer Reports began tracking it in early 2009. Fewer people reported problems in the eight key areas, including … losing health care coverage, being denied a personal loan or seeing their credit card rates or fees increase. People earning 50-thousand dollars or more saw the biggest improvement. But even for lower-income Americans things are getting a little better. And there's more good news. The Consumer Reports' Employment Index reached a high point this month. It's above 50, meaning more Americans are finding jobs than losing them. Still the number of people starting jobs remains relatively low. That needs to increase for the gains we saw this month to continue. I'm Mandy Walker for Consumer Reports. "
More On Your Side Stories
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.
- As college students head off to school, they have to figure out how to set up their banking and receive their financial aid.
- Most eat it for breakfast, but 11 percent have cereal for dinner according to the market research company Mintel.
- Seventy-nine percent of cell-phone users keep their phones with them for all but two of their waking hours.
- There's a serious health concern about eating some kinds of fish, because many popular varieties contain high levels of mercury.