"Every month Consumer Reports asks a cross section of Americans about specific financial troubles they've faced in the past 30 days, like missing a loan payment. The responses are tallied in the Consumer Reports Index Trouble Tracker. Good news. In November, the Trouble Tracker fell to its lowest level - lower than it's been since Consumer Reports began tracking it in early 2009. Fewer people reported problems in the eight key areas, including … losing health care coverage, being denied a personal loan or seeing their credit card rates or fees increase. People earning 50-thousand dollars or more saw the biggest improvement. But even for lower-income Americans things are getting a little better. And there's more good news. The Consumer Reports' Employment Index reached a high point this month. It's above 50, meaning more Americans are finding jobs than losing them. Still the number of people starting jobs remains relatively low. That needs to increase for the gains we saw this month to continue. I'm Mandy Walker for Consumer Reports. "
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!