Angela Annamalai has been selling motorcycles for the last several years. She encourages her customers to focus on safety and get antilock brakes whenever possible. Angela Annamalai "I've seen a lot of folks that have injuries from accidents, and I feel that when you're only on two wheels, why not do your very best to be safe." Antilock brakes have been standard safety equipment on cars for years. But they're even more important for motorcycles. Jim Travers Consumer Reports "On a motorcycle, if you lock up a wheel, you're going to go over in a heartbeat. Faster than you can possibly imagine." This test by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety clearly shows the danger. With the antilock brake system turned off, this motorcycle goes into a skid. But with the A-B-S engaged, you can see how the motorcycle easily comes to a stop. Consumer Reports just checked out a Honda CBR 250-R motorcycle. Antilock brakes are an option. It's the first entry-level bike in the U-S to offer A-B-S, and it goes for around 46-hundred dollars. Jim Travers "It's going to appeal a lot more to a newer rider, a novice rider. And that's where we see ABS as having the biggest benefit." A recent insurance-industry study underscores the pressing need for antilock brakes on motorcycles. Those equipped with ABS are 37 percent less likely to be in a fatal crash than motorcycles that don't have antilock brakes. Consumer Reports says other pluses with this Honda - it has a responsive engine … … and it accelerates nicely without feeling intimidating. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.