Angela Annamalai has been selling motorcycles for the last several years. She encourages her customers to focus on safety and get antilock brakes whenever possible. Angela Annamalai "I've seen a lot of folks that have injuries from accidents, and I feel that when you're only on two wheels, why not do your very best to be safe." Antilock brakes have been standard safety equipment on cars for years. But they're even more important for motorcycles. Jim Travers Consumer Reports "On a motorcycle, if you lock up a wheel, you're going to go over in a heartbeat. Faster than you can possibly imagine." This test by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety clearly shows the danger. With the antilock brake system turned off, this motorcycle goes into a skid. But with the A-B-S engaged, you can see how the motorcycle easily comes to a stop. Consumer Reports just checked out a Honda CBR 250-R motorcycle. Antilock brakes are an option. It's the first entry-level bike in the U-S to offer A-B-S, and it goes for around 46-hundred dollars. Jim Travers "It's going to appeal a lot more to a newer rider, a novice rider. And that's where we see ABS as having the biggest benefit." A recent insurance-industry study underscores the pressing need for antilock brakes on motorcycles. Those equipped with ABS are 37 percent less likely to be in a fatal crash than motorcycles that don't have antilock brakes. Consumer Reports says other pluses with this Honda - it has a responsive engine … … and it accelerates nicely without feeling intimidating. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!