Meaghin Jordan "Good boy." (Braylon claps) Two-year-old Braylon Jordan somehow swallowed eight super-strong magnetic balls, which are at least 15 times stronger than traditional magnets. The force of the magnetic attraction punched through Braylon's small intestine - almost all of which had to be surgically removed. Meaghin Jordan "Braylon isn't allowed to eat anything, so he has to be fed through a tunnel catheter in his chest." Braylon has to wear an ostomy bag day and night that catches his waste. Still, it could have been worse. Dr. R. Adam Noel "Braylon is fortunate to be alive." Braylon's doctor, R. Adam Noel, is conducting a nationwide study and says he's seeing an alarming increase in this type of injury. Several different companies sell these rare-earth magnets and advertise online, including Buckyballs, Zen Magnets, Magnet Balls, and Neocube. "They are fascinating, and sales are through the roof. For example, Buckyballs, which has only been on the market since 2009, claims to have annual sales of more than 25-million dollars." Buckyballs has a warning that states "keep away from all children, and do not put in nose or mouth." Andrea Rock "But our investigation shows that warnings in other brands of magnet sets could be easily missed." Zen Magnets' warning is buried under several layers and encased in cellophane. And some online retailers do not have any warnings. Toys "R" Us simply touts "endless hours of play." Andrea Rock "We are concerned that the warnings on these magnetic balls have not prevented serious injuries in children, and we are calling for the removal of these toys from the consumer market." The Jordans bought the magnets long before they had Braylon and had no idea of the potential danger. Meaghin Jordan "I would advise parents with everything in me not to buy them at all." .."
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.