Many laundry detergents now come in small packs that are intended for easy use. Consumer Reports tested ones from Tide, All, Arm & Hammer, Ajax, Purex, and Dropps. Some of the packs are quick to dissolve in water. But that can be a problem if you have wet hands. And there is also a safety concern. The American Association of Poison Control Centers has issued a warning about pack detergents. It's received more than a thousand reports of children being injured or sickened by them. "As with all household cleaners, it's important to keep them out of children's reach." As for how well the packs clean, Consumer Reports tested using swatches that had been soaked with tough-to-remove stains like wine, as well as grass. The swatches are washed along with a full load of towels. Then this machine analyzes the results. Only one pack detergent - Tide Pods - cleaned well enough to earn a Consumer Reports' recommendation. They cost 22 cents per load. You can use them in both front- and top-loading washing machines. However another Tide detergent - a powder - does an even better job of cleaning. It's Tide Ultra Plus Bleach for about the same price. But it can only be used in high-efficiency washers. If you have a conventional top-loader, Consumer Reports says consider Powder Laundry Detergent Ultra Up and Up from Target. While it doesn't clean as well as the Tide detergents, it costs half as much. .."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!