Justin Bieber made a splash on his 18th birthday when he received a stylish new Fisker Karma from his manager on the Ellen DeGeneres Show. Ellen Show "And we wanted to make sure that when you're on the road, you're always looking environmentally friendly. (MUSIC) The Fisker Karma is a super-sleek luxury car that runs on both gas and electricity. And it sports a celebrity-style sticker price - nearly 108-thousand dollars. It's the most expensive car Consumer Reports has ever tested. But before testers could run it through the paces, the Fisker Karma broke down at the track and had to be towed away! Once testing got underway, it was clear this unique electric sports car does a lot well. The interior is beautiful, and the ride, handling, and braking performance are solid. But testers found some problems. Jon Linkov "Unfortunately, the controls here are a nightmare. In addition, acceleration isn't what you'd expect from a sports car." But how efficiently does this electric vehicle get you down the road? "When driving on electric power alone, you'll get the equivalent of 66 miles per gallon, but your range is only 38 miles. When driving on the gasoline engine alone, you'll get about 22 miles per gallon overall." You can do better. If you really want an electric vehicle - and no one's planning to get you one for your birthday - you may want to compromise on the "sporty" factor, and go for the Chevy Volt. It costs about 40-thousand dollars and it delivers the equivalent of 99 gallons on electric power and 32 miles per gallon on gas - much better than the Fisker Karma. "
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.