Customers at this Family Dollar store say the savings keep them coming back again and again. "I'm trying to get myself on a budget." "I love the savings." "I like to buy the same items from the supermarkets and the large stores for a fraction of the price." Consumer Reports ShopSmart surveyed 15-hundred women and found about 75 percent of them are shopping at dollar stores more than they used to. "Dollar stores are really growing and expanding into a lot of new markets, and many people who maybe never shopped them before are giving them a second look in this economy." Favorite purchases - paper and plastic goods … cleaning products … party supplies … storage items and toiletries. ShopSmart also sent out secret shoppers to check prices on 38 everyday products. They shopped at Dollar General and Family Dollar. Then they compared the prices at Walmart, Target, and some supermarkets. Jody Rohlena "Walmart had the lowest prices on the most items. Supermarkets had the highest prices by far. But dollar stores were really competitive." In fact Dollar General had the best deals on these five products, with savings anywhere from 12 percent all the way up to 28 percent. And ShopSmart finds you can save even more on private-label brands at dollar stores. Jody Rohlena "The dollar stores have really changed a lot, especially over the last five years or so. They're better organized, they have cleaner aisles, they have a lot more stuff, and they're really designed to get you in and out very quickly." So ShopSmart says it's easier than ever to scope out dollar-store savings. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!