Customers at this Family Dollar store say the savings keep them coming back again and again. "I'm trying to get myself on a budget." "I love the savings." "I like to buy the same items from the supermarkets and the large stores for a fraction of the price." Consumer Reports ShopSmart surveyed 15-hundred women and found about 75 percent of them are shopping at dollar stores more than they used to. "Dollar stores are really growing and expanding into a lot of new markets, and many people who maybe never shopped them before are giving them a second look in this economy." Favorite purchases - paper and plastic goods … cleaning products … party supplies … storage items and toiletries. ShopSmart also sent out secret shoppers to check prices on 38 everyday products. They shopped at Dollar General and Family Dollar. Then they compared the prices at Walmart, Target, and some supermarkets. Jody Rohlena "Walmart had the lowest prices on the most items. Supermarkets had the highest prices by far. But dollar stores were really competitive." In fact Dollar General had the best deals on these five products, with savings anywhere from 12 percent all the way up to 28 percent. And ShopSmart finds you can save even more on private-label brands at dollar stores. Jody Rohlena "The dollar stores have really changed a lot, especially over the last five years or so. They're better organized, they have cleaner aisles, they have a lot more stuff, and they're really designed to get you in and out very quickly." So ShopSmart says it's easier than ever to scope out dollar-store savings. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.