Carol Kuen couldn't figure out why her dishwasher wasn't cleaning her dishes very well, and they were turning filmy. Carol Kuen "I tried loading the dishwasher differently. I tried different detergent. I tried different rinse aids." When Consumer Reports evaluated detergents last year, testers found some left a white film on glassware. This used to be a clear glass plate. Consumers complained too, so some manufacturers reformulated their phosphate-free detergents. "We developed a tough hard-water test to evaluate these detergents. In hard water, glassware is likelier to develop a film." And aluminum can discolor. Testers load a dishwasher with clear plates and with small aluminum sheets that stand in for pots and trays. They add detergent and repeat this test 20 times. To see how well the detergents clean away food, Consumer Reports performs another tough test. A messy mix of 17 ingredients, including peanut butter and eggs, is applied to plates, and then baked on. Bob Markovich "Some of the worst-performing detergents left food on the plates. Take a look at this!" The lowest-rated detergent - Green Mission Organic Dishwasher Gel from Whole Foods. But Cascade Complete with Dawn ActionPacs was a clear standout. Great Value Powder Pacs from Walmart was close behind and costs far less. Both do a very good job cleaning dishes, and they don't leave a filmy buildup. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Netflix vs. Amazon which is the better choice?
- How Rent-to-Own "deals" can bust your budget
- Consumer Reports tested dozens of grills -- and has found some real winners
- "Can you Hear me now"?
- Consumer Reports has just tested of Samsung's latest smartphone, the Galaxy S6
- Sunscreen is essential to guard against sunburn, skin damage and cancer
- Is Online Gift Wrap Worth It?
- Best Lawn Mowers
- Should You Buy a Mattress Online ?
- Safer Cars for Teens