Carol Kuen couldn't figure out why her dishwasher wasn't cleaning her dishes very well, and they were turning filmy. Carol Kuen "I tried loading the dishwasher differently. I tried different detergent. I tried different rinse aids." When Consumer Reports evaluated detergents last year, testers found some left a white film on glassware. This used to be a clear glass plate. Consumers complained too, so some manufacturers reformulated their phosphate-free detergents. "We developed a tough hard-water test to evaluate these detergents. In hard water, glassware is likelier to develop a film." And aluminum can discolor. Testers load a dishwasher with clear plates and with small aluminum sheets that stand in for pots and trays. They add detergent and repeat this test 20 times. To see how well the detergents clean away food, Consumer Reports performs another tough test. A messy mix of 17 ingredients, including peanut butter and eggs, is applied to plates, and then baked on. Bob Markovich "Some of the worst-performing detergents left food on the plates. Take a look at this!" The lowest-rated detergent - Green Mission Organic Dishwasher Gel from Whole Foods. But Cascade Complete with Dawn ActionPacs was a clear standout. Great Value Powder Pacs from Walmart was close behind and costs far less. Both do a very good job cleaning dishes, and they don't leave a filmy buildup. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.