Carol Kuen couldn't figure out why her dishwasher wasn't cleaning her dishes very well, and they were turning filmy. Carol Kuen "I tried loading the dishwasher differently. I tried different detergent. I tried different rinse aids." When Consumer Reports evaluated detergents last year, testers found some left a white film on glassware. This used to be a clear glass plate. Consumers complained too, so some manufacturers reformulated their phosphate-free detergents. "We developed a tough hard-water test to evaluate these detergents. In hard water, glassware is likelier to develop a film." And aluminum can discolor. Testers load a dishwasher with clear plates and with small aluminum sheets that stand in for pots and trays. They add detergent and repeat this test 20 times. To see how well the detergents clean away food, Consumer Reports performs another tough test. A messy mix of 17 ingredients, including peanut butter and eggs, is applied to plates, and then baked on. Bob Markovich "Some of the worst-performing detergents left food on the plates. Take a look at this!" The lowest-rated detergent - Green Mission Organic Dishwasher Gel from Whole Foods. But Cascade Complete with Dawn ActionPacs was a clear standout. Great Value Powder Pacs from Walmart was close behind and costs far less. Both do a very good job cleaning dishes, and they don't leave a filmy buildup. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!