Contractor Tim Mosher says it's important to take good care of a central air conditioning system. Tim Mosher, "The preventative maintenance in the beginning of the season is better than having to have a serviceman come out during a heat wave." And Consumer Reports says carefully choosing an air conditioning system can help you avoid service calls, too. Its latest product-reliability survey shows some central air systems have been significantly more repair-prone - Amana, Goodman, and York. "In the past six years, close to one in five of these systems needed repairs. That's a lot." Consumer Reports' survey also shows how inconvenient repairs can be. Ten percent of those polled said they needed repeated repairs in the first year. Eighteen percent reported their system broke down completely. And 39 percent lost A-C for at least a day. Dan DiClerico "About 30 percent who had problems had to pay 150 dollars or more for the repair." To prevent having to call a repairman, Consumer Reports says invest in a more reliable brand, including ones from American Standard, Rheem, or Trane. And don't do this! Plants and hedges should be at least two feet away from the air conditioning unit. Also, clean filters and grills monthly. And be sure to seal and insulate every duct. Dan DiClerico "Up to 30 to 40 percent of energy can escape through leaks when ducts aren't insulated." .Another energy saver - use a programmable thermostat and set the temperature higher when you're out of the house. "
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.