Contractor Tim Mosher says it's important to take good care of a central air conditioning system. Tim Mosher, "The preventative maintenance in the beginning of the season is better than having to have a serviceman come out during a heat wave." And Consumer Reports says carefully choosing an air conditioning system can help you avoid service calls, too. Its latest product-reliability survey shows some central air systems have been significantly more repair-prone - Amana, Goodman, and York. "In the past six years, close to one in five of these systems needed repairs. That's a lot." Consumer Reports' survey also shows how inconvenient repairs can be. Ten percent of those polled said they needed repeated repairs in the first year. Eighteen percent reported their system broke down completely. And 39 percent lost A-C for at least a day. Dan DiClerico "About 30 percent who had problems had to pay 150 dollars or more for the repair." To prevent having to call a repairman, Consumer Reports says invest in a more reliable brand, including ones from American Standard, Rheem, or Trane. And don't do this! Plants and hedges should be at least two feet away from the air conditioning unit. Also, clean filters and grills monthly. And be sure to seal and insulate every duct. Dan DiClerico "Up to 30 to 40 percent of energy can escape through leaks when ducts aren't insulated." .Another energy saver - use a programmable thermostat and set the temperature higher when you're out of the house. "
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!