If you think it's butter, but it's not, it's likely a butter substitute. These can be a good alternative, with less fat and fewer calories - but shop carefully. Erin Gudeux Consumer Reports "You want to avoid butter substitutes that have trans fat, which is more damaging to the heart and body than saturated fat." Consumer Reports evaluated 15 butter substitutes for taste, texture, and nutrition. "Everything's better with Blue Bonnet on it." The spread known for its catchy jingle is one of the cheapest, but Blue Bonnet 53 percent vegetable oil spread was also the lowest rated. Instead, try top-rated Land O Lakes Spreadable Butter with Canola Oil, which Consumer Reports rates excellent. Sensory panelists described it as tasting just like whipped butter, and it has less saturated fat. Erin Gudeux "It's also missing that movie-popcorn, fake-butter flavor that you can find in other butter alternatives." While you do have the benefit of less saturated fat because of the canola oil, each tablespoon has 100 calories and 11 grams of fat, the same as butter. Want a butter alternative with fewer calories and fat, along with less saturated fat? Two rated very good - I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light Spread and Brummel & Brown 35 percent Vegetable Oil Spread made with nonfat yogurt. Each has only 45 calories and five grams of fat per serving. Either would be a tasty alternative to butter. . "
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!