Flowers make beautiful gifts. But ordering online can be pretty unpleasant, Consumer Reports discovered. It surveyed subscribers about their experiences shopping at the 52 largest retail websites. Online florists 1-800-Flowers and FTD rated near the bottom. "They had low marks for value, and there were lots of complaints about high shipping charges and customers having to wait longer than expected." Ticketmaster doesn't have a lot to cheer about either. It was at the bottom of Consumer Reports' ratings and got the lowest marks of all for customer support. "It takes so long, and you're entering all this information over and over again." "I don't like how expensive they are." Tony Giorgianni, "A good online retailer should offer great value, have good products and services, and deliver them on time. It also should have great customer support." Among the highest-rated sites - B&H Photo; Zappos; Costco; Nordstrom; L.L.Bean; NewEgg, for electronics; and REI, which carries outdoor gear and clothing. REI stands out with its guarantee that shoppers can return or replace items any time at the store or online. There's no expiration date. Tony Giorgianni, "Zappos also has a good return policy. You have a year to return something, and Zappos picks up the cost." Another way to save on shipping - shop at sites like Walmart, which doesn't charge if you have the item delivered to the store for pick up. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.