Pancakes are a favorite way to start the day. "I love pancakes every morning because they're so good." "When I'm really in the mood, I love to have some pancakes." Consumer Reports testers went undercover to find who makes great-tasting buttermilk pancakes - eating at five major chains, including I-HOP, Denny's, and Cracker Barrel. "Now, an excellent pancake should be tender and moist, not wet and pasty. When it comes to the flavors, you really want get that hint of the grain." I-HOP claims its pancakes are "award-winning with … authentic country flavor." Tod Marks "The I-HOP pancakes looked better than they tasted. As the pancakes cooled, they became kind of tough." Denny's pancakes tasted as if they came from a mix. So did ones from Country Kitchen. The best pancakes came from Cracker Barrel and Perkins. They were cooked to a nice golden brown and tasted freshly prepared. But even with the best restaurants, Consumer Reports found it's better to order pancakes in the morning. Tod Marks "When we ordered the pancakes off the all-day menu, we sometimes found that they picked up flavors of other foods cooked on the grill. And frankly, they weren't as good." As for the syrup, Cracker Barrel was the only restaurant where it contains real maple. Though it wasn't 100 percent pure maple syrup, Cracker Barrel does serve it warm. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- Time to make health coverage choices
- Consumer Reports wanted to bring some science to the matter to find out just how much force it takes for the iPhone 6 to bend and not bend back.
- Tips on how to get the most money for the stuff you no longer need.
- BPA or bisphenol A has been banned by the Federal government because it's linked to serious health problems.
- Consumer Reports just put two dozen of the most popular brands and styles through rigorous wind, rain, and climate tests to find the best for your house.
- Walmart is known for value, some strategies to try when shopping the discount chain.
- Sales of portable generators spike every time the power gets knocked out, a good one can keep the basics running.
- Instead of Apple TV, Roku, or another set-top box for streaming video to your TV, consider a Blu-ray player.
- Consumer Reports tests car seats for kids to find the safest ones.
- Full-Sized pickups are notorious gas guzzlers but Consumer Reports has found some real winners.