Pancakes are a favorite way to start the day. "I love pancakes every morning because they're so good." "When I'm really in the mood, I love to have some pancakes." Consumer Reports testers went undercover to find who makes great-tasting buttermilk pancakes - eating at five major chains, including I-HOP, Denny's, and Cracker Barrel. "Now, an excellent pancake should be tender and moist, not wet and pasty. When it comes to the flavors, you really want get that hint of the grain." I-HOP claims its pancakes are "award-winning with … authentic country flavor." Tod Marks "The I-HOP pancakes looked better than they tasted. As the pancakes cooled, they became kind of tough." Denny's pancakes tasted as if they came from a mix. So did ones from Country Kitchen. The best pancakes came from Cracker Barrel and Perkins. They were cooked to a nice golden brown and tasted freshly prepared. But even with the best restaurants, Consumer Reports found it's better to order pancakes in the morning. Tod Marks "When we ordered the pancakes off the all-day menu, we sometimes found that they picked up flavors of other foods cooked on the grill. And frankly, they weren't as good." As for the syrup, Cracker Barrel was the only restaurant where it contains real maple. Though it wasn't 100 percent pure maple syrup, Cracker Barrel does serve it warm. ."
More On Your Side Stories
- a just-released Consumer Reports' survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled "natural" when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it's essentially meaningless claim.
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level.
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up.
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings.
- If you think there's no such thing as free lunch, think again. There are lots of products you can get online without having to pay a cent.
- Consumer Reports tested polishes for its ShopSmart magazine to find the longest-lasting nail polishes.
- Consumer Reports ShopSmart checked out six popular tanning sprays and lotions to see if they offer a golden glow.
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract.
- Consumer Reports has tested ways to help you keep your private info private.
- Why this could be the best time to buy a new grill!